Former Syrian regime officer arrested in a new security operation announced by Syria’s Interior Ministry as authorities continue investigations into alleged crimes committed during the rule of former president Bashar al-Assad. The ministry confirmed that former major general Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf was detained following what officials described as a carefully monitored operation carried out by Internal Security Forces.
The arrest marks another major step in ongoing efforts by Syrian authorities to pursue former military and security figures accused of abuses during the previous government era.

Syrian Interior Ministry Announces Arrest
The Syrian Interior Ministry released a statement confirming the detention of Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf, a former senior officer who held the rank of major general under the Assad government.
According to the ministry, the arrest followed extensive surveillance and intelligence operations conducted by Internal Security Forces.
Officials stated that Nayouf occupied several key military positions during his service in the Syrian armed forces.
Positions Held by Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf
Authorities said the former officer served in multiple senior command roles during his military career.
The ministry listed several of his former positions, including:
- Service in the Third Corps
- Commander of the 18th Tank Division
- Chief of Staff of the 11th Division in 2020
- Commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016
These units were considered among the most important military formations under the former Syrian government.
Investigation and Legal Proceedings
The Interior Ministry stated that Nayouf has been transferred to relevant authorities for further investigations.
Officials added that legal procedures are underway before the case is referred to the judiciary.
The ministry did not immediately provide additional details regarding the specific accusations or timeline for court proceedings.
Syria Expands Operations Against Former Regime Figures
The former Syrian regime officer arrested case comes amid broader efforts by Syrian authorities to investigate alleged abuses connected to the previous administration.
State media reported that the operation was conducted by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, operating under the Internal Security Command in Hama province.
Focus on Transitional Justice
According to statements carried by Syrian state media agency SANA, the latest operation forms part of a wider campaign aimed at accountability and transitional justice.
Authorities said the campaign seeks to:
- Pursue individuals accused of crimes and violations
- End impunity linked to past abuses
- Protect the rights of victims and families
- Support judicial accountability processes
Officials emphasized that investigations are continuing into incidents connected to the former regime period.
Security Operations Intensify
The arrest reflects increasing activity by Syrian security agencies targeting former military and prison officials.
Observers note that the latest actions signal an attempt to address longstanding accusations tied to detention centers, military operations, and security institutions active during the conflict years.
The Interior Ministry has recently increased public announcements regarding arrests linked to former regime figures.
Second Arrest Linked to Former Assad-Era Officials
Earlier on Friday, Syrian authorities also confirmed the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, who reportedly served as a guard at Saydnaya prison during the former government.
The two arrests were announced within hours of each other.
Attention on Saydnaya Prison Cases
Saydnaya prison has long attracted international attention because of allegations surrounding conditions and treatment of detainees during Syria’s conflict.
Human rights organizations have repeatedly raised concerns about reported abuses connected to the facility over the years.
The arrest of a former prison guard is likely to draw additional scrutiny to ongoing investigations.
Broader Crackdown on Former Officials
Analysts say the recent arrests suggest Syrian authorities may continue targeting individuals linked to former military and security structures.
Potential areas of investigation could include:
- Military command operations
- Detention facilities
- Security enforcement practices
- Alleged wartime abuses
Officials have not indicated how many additional investigations are currently underway.
Background on Syria’s Security Transition
The arrest of former Syrian regime officers comes during a period of political and institutional transition in Syria following years of conflict and international pressure.
Efforts to Rebuild State Institutions
Syrian authorities have increasingly focused on rebuilding state institutions and addressing legacy issues tied to the civil war period.
Government agencies have emphasized themes such as:
- National reconciliation
- Judicial accountability
- Institutional reforms
- Public security stabilization
However, international observers continue to monitor how legal proceedings are handled and whether investigations meet international legal standards.
International Interest in Accountability Measures
Global human rights organizations and foreign governments have closely followed developments involving former Syrian officials accused of abuses.
Calls for accountability have remained a major issue throughout discussions surrounding Syria’s future political process.
Several international bodies have documented allegations involving military units and detention facilities connected to the former regime.
Reactions to the Arrest Announcement
The announcement generated significant attention across regional media and political circles.
Supporters of the investigations argue that pursuing former officials accused of violations is necessary for justice and reconciliation.
Others stress the importance of transparent legal procedures and independent judicial oversight during the process.
Importance of Legal Transparency
Legal experts say future proceedings will likely be closely examined by both domestic and international observers.
Key issues expected to receive attention include:
- Evidence presented during investigations
- Judicial independence
- Fair trial procedures
- Victim participation in legal processes
Syrian authorities have not yet released details regarding possible court dates or formal charges.
Security Situation in Damascus and Hama
The arrest announcement comes shortly after heightened security activity in parts of Syria, including Damascus and Hama province.
State media recently reported military police deployments near an explosion site in Bab Sharqi close to the Syrian Defense Ministry headquarters in Damascus.
Although officials did not directly connect the incidents, the developments highlight ongoing security concerns in several regions of the country.
FAQ
Who is Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf?
Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf is a former Syrian military officer who held the rank of major general under Bashar al-Assad’s government and served in several senior command positions.
Why was the former Syrian regime officer arrested?
Syrian authorities stated that the former officer was arrested over alleged crimes and violations committed during the previous regime period.
What positions did Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf hold?
He reportedly served in the Third Corps, commanded the 18th Tank Division, acted as chief of staff of the 11th Division, and led the 105th Republican Guard Brigade.
What is Syria saying about transitional justice?
Syrian officials say the arrests are part of broader efforts to end impunity, achieve transitional justice, and protect the rights of victims and their families.
The former Syrian regime officer arrested case represents another significant development in Syria’s ongoing efforts to investigate figures linked to the former government. As legal proceedings continue, attention is expected to remain focused on transparency, accountability, and how Syrian authorities handle future investigations involving military and security officials.
Click here for more news